In this issue:
Welcome
Report on the August Meeting
Announcement - Cards for the Troops
Welcome
Welcome to the brand new R.S.V.P. blog! I've been having such fun with my personal blog that I decided that R.S.V.P. should have its own spot on the Internet. I'll be using this space for special announcements, the regular monthly newsletter, and other such communication as may be warranted. With a blog, I can also include photos, which is a much easier to do than with regular e-mail.
Your feedback on this approach to communication about our group is welcomed. Any constructive suggestions will be gratefully received. You may leave your comments in the Comments Section by clicking on "Comments" (at the end of this post) or email me at patsschado_at_yahoo_dot_com. All those underlines are for a purpose, you know -- spam prevention; you can figure it out.
Report on the August Meeting
Our ninth anniversary party was a great success! A few folks whom we haven't seen for a while crawled out from under their stacks of paper, inks, and stamps to join us for the celebration. Welcome back, friends! We hope to see you again, soon. To those of you not able to attend -- we missed you!
We enjoyed (pigged out on) a feast of barbeque, chilled boiled shrimp, various side dishes, and some beautiful and delicious desserts. Thanks to Amy King for supplying the china, linens, and silver. Without your contribution, Amy, we would have been eating like Neanderthals... straight out of the serving dishes into our hands!
After we had satisfied the inner (wo)man, Virginia Moore, one of our intrepid founders, led us in creating some beautiful Spirelli work. Our completed pieces were used to make cards. Those of you who were not in attendance missed seeing Virginia's beautiful sample cards. I was a D.U.N.C.E. for not taking photos of some of them; all I can do is share a photo of my own completed card. Maybe I can convince her to lend me her cards for a photo shoot so you can see how beautiful, and varied, they can be.
Announcement - ORCAS - Cards for the troops
Virginia announced that she has recently been in touch with ORCAS, the rubber stamping group in Oregon which has been sending cards to our troops. It's been a full year since we made a contribution to this worthwhile cause. To refresh your memory, these cards are not to our troops, but cards that they can use to send back to their loved ones at home. The cards we contribute can be newly made OR carefully re-made cards. All-occasion cards (birthday, anniversary, cards for small children, both girls and boys, sympathy, get well, etc.) are more than welcome. Although we hate to think about it, it will soon be time for Christmas cards, too. I'm sure you have some lovely cards that are carefully put away; how about going through those and choosing a few to rework. Share your blessings!
It is preferable that the inside of the card be left totally blank for the service person to add his/her own greeting and note. A NEW ENVELOPE should be included with each card you donate. You do not need to affix postage.
Cards for this project will be collected at the September meeting. Please be generous with your time and attention to this project. Thanks.
I'm going to close this first communique with something that Cynthia Hester created when our group was first formed. I used to add it as a footnote to all the R.S.V.P. Newsletters, then got out of the habit of doing that. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of this from time to time, and I've also included this in the side bar under "Information about our Stamping Club."
* * * * * *
R.S.V.P. (Rubber Stampers Visionary People) was created to provide a setting for interested persons, whether beginners or advanced in the craft, to meet on a regular basis to share techniques, to create art work, and to discuss information related to rubber stamping and paper arts. R.S.V.P. is not associated with nor does it actively sponsor or recommend any specific store, private vendor, stamp company, independent instructor, or Internet supplier. However, we welcome information from all members concerning their individual rubber stamping/paper arts activities and creative endeavors, including the extension of invitations to participate in privately sponsored activities. R.S.V.P. has no membership dues, and meets only in places that do not charge fees for use of the space. There are no set class fees. The only expense connected with participation in R.S.V.P. meetings is a small contribution ($1 - $2) to offset expenses incurred by the instructor for materials used in each class.
* * * * * *
Until I write again,
Pat
7 comments:
I LOVE THE BLOG! YOU HAVE A GREAT THING GOING ON HERE PAT.
The blog is very nice and newsy and I will enjoy it, but I will still need a monthly reminder about the meeting. Could you send a monthly email saying "check the blog for meeting info" and include the blog URL as you did the first time? I need the reminder.
Thanks, Ellie Cook
Ellie.. I intend to send an email prior to each month's meeting, just as I have in the past. However, the body of it will contain only a clickable link to the blog page that contains the information about the meeting. Should there be "between meeting" notices, an email will also go out with reference to the blog.
Thanks for checking it out and for commenting.
I think this is great! Everyone loves blogs these days. A great place to show off to the world!
You go girl!!
Pat,
Thanks for putting this together!
I like the rich content of the blog, a place to house our history, and the opportunity to have monthly folders with pictures/instructions of the cards with instructions. There is a good WIFM here.
I would like to see 'quick summary reads' in the blog so I can skim through the content and get the essence of the story.
Right gutter: Constant info re: club meetings: date, time, place and no dues should have more visibility. Let's tell all stampers that they are welcome to attend. Prior membership to RSVP is not a requirement and we encourage new first time addendees.
Consider use of highlighted/underlined words. Some bloggers might be used to clicking on highlighted words as links. These obviously are not.
Response to the comments section is blocked by many business web browers. To interact with the site,one must disconnect their computer from the company system. Not impossible, but a painful extra step for those of us who are still working. You might want to put this in the body of the newsletter.
For the first few meetings, please consider putting basic meeting info in the body of the email as well as on the blog. I wouldn't want inability to access the blog to be a barrier to attending for our members. For example: If I am working from my Blackberry, I can access the content of an email, but not a link.
I think it would also be good to let people know that when you blow, comments can be viewed by anyone with access to the internet.
Thanks,
Cynthia
Never done this before so I hope it works. The new website is great. I especially like the report on the previous meeting. Just makes me wish I had been able to be there and enjoy the food, fellowship and create something beautiful. Virginia always does a great job! I also think it will be a good way to post pictures especially for those still on dialup since it won't take as long.
Keep up the good work!
Nita Clark
Post a Comment